Grace Lutheran Church, LCMS
1010 Burrel Ave. SE
Cooperstown, ND 58425
Rev. Charles E Johnson, Pastor
Call 701-797-3444 for church times.
Grace Lutheran Church, a church of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, (LCMS) was established in 1947 when application was made to the district office to establish a mission. Church members braced for a period of long, hard work. With nearly all labor on the church being voluntary, work progressed more slowly than had originally hoped. It was estimated that more than 7,000 hours of volunteer labor by church members, helpers from the community and helpers from sister congregations had been worked. Even as work on the main floor of the church progressed, services were regularly held in the basement. In 1980, the bell that was given to Grace in 1947 was mounted in the front churchyard to announce the beginning of worship. On November 9, 1986 the stained glass windows were dedicated. The Carrol and Marvin Retzlaff families in memory of their parents, Alfred and Julia, presented the windows in the nave and narthex as a gift to Grace Church. Members and friends of Rev. Willard C. Laatz presented the windows in the balcony of the church as a gift to Grace Church. In January of 1997, a triple parish consisting of Grace, Cooperstown; Zion, Binford; and Trinity, Hope was formed. Currently serving as pastor is Rev. Charles E. Johnson who was installed on April 13,1997.